Friday, October 29, 2010

My New Adjustable Sitting - Standing Desk!

A desk where you can sit OR stand?? What a concept..!

My best friend told me about a desk which is adjustable that is widely used in Germany and in Europe. I was definitely interested in this, since lately I have been experiencing a lot of sitting issues due to the number of hours that I spend working in front of a computer.

I'm still young enough - in my late twenties - and really I should not be having these kinds of aches and pains...at least in my opinion :) However, with the long hours of working constantly which sometimes range from 12 to 14 to 16 hours a day - I can see why I am getting these issues from hunching over with not the best posture.

Thus the search began. I work from home and so having something that will help me, especially with the long hours that I work, this was a top priority!
However, I also had to find something that could fit within my budget.

When I first started looking I saw desks starting in the $2000 to $4000 and up range and I started to get really discouraged

There were a few sites that I was looking at:

Anthro: anthro adjustable desk - However, they were looking to be a bit too high in price
http://www.anthro.com/computer-furniture.aspx?desk=elevate-adjusta

Geekdesk was another one. Much more afordable - with two options. The original geek desk - desk is Huge!! for 799 + Shipping/Taxes and the Geek Desk mini for 749 + Shipping/taxes
http://www.geekdesk.com/

I corresponded with their customer service via email and they were really friendly and helpful, however the only drawback was that they did not ship to Canada. So I kept searching.

Finally I came upon Ergo Depot and they just came out with new adjustable desks!!
And the price was a lot better and within what I was willing to look at:
http://www.ergodepot.com/Adjustable_Desks_s/134.htm

I ended up getting the AD17 since that is all I really needed for my home office which was 595$. I paid extra to get a rectangular table top and they shipped to Canada. I was actually their first Canadian customer, but they were great in working to get it to me. It took a couple weeks longer than expected due to having to get it through customs and have a broker, but all in all - wonderful service.

The desk ended up being just under $1000 with the upgrades, taxes and shipping costs. The shipping was quite high since I was in Canada - so for those in the States, even better since your cost will be a LOT lower than mine. Yes, it is a bit pricy for a desk and more than what I would normally pay - but considering the health benefits, it's worth it.

It was pretty easy to assemble, and the motor runs really smoothly to adjust it to different levels. I now have an adjustable sitting standing desk and it does a world of wonder for me!

Even when i'm sitting it can be adjusted to just the right level so that my arms are in the right place, and my chair is effective. I have a Herman Miller Embody - which is MUCH better with a desk that also fits me!! :)

Here is a picture of the desk!! - Definitely recommend it!

1 comment:

  1. wow...that's pretty cool! haha...no more excuses for not standing up to stretch once in a while!

    ReplyDelete